What A Difference A Needle Makes

I started Ripples In Time late last spring, but after I completed the body the whole thing was set aside - in part because I needed to order metal DPNs to correspond with the Addi Turbos I had used. For some crazy reason I did not keep the needles with the project - but put them away and relied on the notes I had made on my Ravelry page. I therefor ordered a set of 3.25mm - US3s - from KnitPicks when I was ready to begin again.
Several weeks ago, I finally cast on with my new DPN's...but was alarmed to find that the gauge was way off. I checked and double checked my notes and my Ravelry page - and according to them I had ordered the right size. I was a bit confused because I thought I remembered using the size that the pattern called for - which was a US 2, or a 3mm - but surely I wouldn't have made such a simple clerical error! At the time, I figured that the weight of the DPN's was throwing me off because the KP needles are quite heavy. I let my frustration put me off of the project again and moved on to happier knits.
Last weekend I finally sat down to get to the heart of this mystery. In order to finally figure out the problem, I decided to work the sleeves flat using my Addis. I began the first sleeve on a 3.25 mm needle, and got the sample you see in the first two pictures.
I then worked the same piece in a 3.o mm needle. Right away I knew that this was the needle I had used because it felt right in my hands - whereas the slightly larger needle had felt a bit awkward.
Much better...isn't it! Now I can settle in to work, and hopefully will very soon have a completed sweater.
Next time, I'll leave the needles with the project.
And be more careful when recording my Ravelry entries.
And I won't let so much time go by in the middle of the project.
Why is that dratted Green Woman laughing so hard?

Comments

margene said…
Keep knitting, that's the key for me. Leaving something and going back seems to create more headaches. At least you're back on track now!

Popular Posts