I Fear The Zimmermann

I'm supposed to be working on the swatch cap for my husband's sweater. I've got the yarn, I've got the needles, and I have Spun-Out #49. In fact, I've had all of these things for several months and could have completed the whole thing by now. Gross procrastination has pushed me to the point where I'll be lucky if I finish it in time for Christmas.

This morning I decided that today was THE DAY to begin, and so I settled down this afternoon to start. An hour later, I was still sitting there, looking blankly at the pattern. Rather than just getting on with it, I had used my hour to poke through every single stitch guide I own (which is a bunch) because I just didn't quite like the center back cable. I was getting nowhere.

Finally, I called my BKB, who is always good for both talking through knitting problems and for making knitterly confessions. If I'm honest with myself, I told her, than I have to admit that I'm afraid of this pattern. There's just too much to think about, and too much to decide, and too much that I don't know about anything for me to do this pattern. Ack!

Of course, some of this is just vintage Me. Just as I stall out on beloved projects at the very end, I also tend to fuss way too long about big projects at the beginning. Normally I'm fine once I begin and relax into the project, though. I do think it's being amplified considerably this time by my recent Forrestry debacle, but still...this is my natural process.

Having fessed up, it's time to get to work!



PS. My husband found my keys after he came home yesterday. They were tucked in a back corner of the Pixie's bookshelf. I don't know that I would ever have found them, but I can assure you that I am now hiding them from the Pixie in my upper kitchen cabinets.

PPS. The quote from yesterday is from the musical Rent, from the song, "La Vie Boheme."

Comments

margene said…
There are several EZ groups on Ravelry that might help you with questions. I do think you will be fine, but don't hurt yourself trying to finish for Christmas!

Popular Posts