My Secret Knitting Trick

Cute...isn't she! This is my Pixie, riding my 12ish year old lab mix this morning. She was very pleased with herself.

However, she's been a very, very naughty girl today. After being warned away from my keys several times this morning, my little Pixie managed to get ahold of them while I was cleaning the bathroom. I went to pack up the van so that I could deliver the turkey...and they were gone. I've searched everywhere that I can think of, and there's no sign of my keys. (Missing are my van keys, my key to my husband's car and my front door key.) Goodness only knows what she's done with them. We are now trapped at home until I find them as my husband keeps the spares with him. I've called our school to have the Princess sent home on the bus, and the turkey is in the fridge until after my husband comes home this evening. Which is why I'm working on these. From right to left, a pair of wee socks, Ripples in Time and the next Sunflower Tam - all presents for the Pixie.

You see, when I am very angry with someone I have a little knitting trick. I pull out whatever WIPs I may have for that person and knit like crazy until the anger has passed. If I don't have anything already on the needles than I will cast on something for that person - even if it's just a simple hat or a pair of socks. For me it's an effective trick because it's very hard to stay angry with someone when you are actively creating something for them. Jonathan Larson said, "The opposite of war isn't peace..it's creation," and I believe that with all my heart. Creation is an act of love...and knitting is my preferred method of creation.

Of course, my secret is now out....whoops.

Comments

Bonnie said…
Thanks for the Larson quote. I've never heard it before. It's so wise.

Hope the keys turn up soon!
Leciawp said…
Sorry to laugh because I'm sure it's not funny to you, but it's the funniest/saddest thing I've heard in a long time. But by the grace of God...we're all on the verge of that. Have the keys resurfaced?

I love your strategy of calming down via knitting. We have a set of calming cards that give categories of strategies people can use to calm down. One category they is creative ways! I plan to post about them next week - stay tuned...

Have a great weekend! xo
margene said…
Love the quote. Doesn't a kid do just exactly what you tell them not to do? Her mind was set. You sure know how to handle the situation, however.

Popular Posts