Inspiration Sunday









One of my most prized possessions is a very large handknit coverlet which was given to me by my husband's maternal grandparents several years ago. They knew I was a knitter, and so they knew I would appreciate the work that went into this magnificent family heirloom. As I happen to have adored Mema and Grandaden, I feel very honored to have been given a piece of their family history.

Somewhere I have all of the details about who knit this when...but I didn't stop to look for them today. I was in too much of a hurry to post this particular piece of inspiration!

What I can tell you is that the coverlet is very large. It would easily cover a king-sized bed, although it didn't start out that way. When first knit, the counterpane squares made up three separate bedspreads. At some point someone repurposed the three spreads by taking the squares apart and sewing them into one large piece. My husband's family called the pattern 'kitten's ears' and the work is done at 12 stitches per inch. It's an incredible feat no matter how you look at it.

Last month my husband's aunt gave me these squares - which I imagine were the leftovers. As the coverlet is simply too large to put on display, I am thrilled to have these smaller pieces, which I would like to frame and hang in the living room.

As I prepare to knit several grand projects myself, I turn to my counterpane and marvel at the craftmanship that went into such a beauty. I hope someday someone will look at my knitting and feel the same way.

Comments

margene said…
It's truly beautiful!! Lucky you.
Bonnie said…
That is pretty amazing. 12 st to the inch! What marvelous work!

Popular Posts