Choices

I just have time for a quick note this afternoon because I want to get some work done on the Pixie's sweater. (Gotta strike when the iron is hot!)

This morning I called the Imani Mission, which is a local service organization run by my church, to volunteer to purchase and cook a turkey for their Thanksgiving dinner this Friday. If you were to know how tight our budget is, you might think this was a foolish thing to do - especially with the holidays coming. It's no secret that money is scarce around here, and we just don't have much for extras.

However, this year we are choosing to share what we do have with others.

Why?

Because we are so much better off than so many others are.

Because our families have provided us with a great deal of help and I feel that it is our responsibility to pay it forward.

Because we are so rich in what really matters - in each other and our families, in our health, in our talents and potential.

Because I am relieved and grateful that I don't have to host Thanksgiving here at my home, and feel that I want to celebrate in a new way this year.

Because many charitable organizations are going to be - or are already - facing shortfalls in resources and an ever increasing demand for their services.

Because it's the right thing to do.

It's not much, but it's something...and it's a start.

Comments

Popular Posts