My New Knitting Bag

First, an apology. I had intended to write this post shortly after I received my new bag - for reasons that will soon become clear. I was a bit overwhelmed by the gift, and sadly - and inexcusably - procrastinated. Yesterday I received an email from a friend who had noticed the bag in our family photos at the pumpkin patch...and so here I am today.

Shortly after I wrote this post about the problem with my knitting bag, I walked into Hillcreek Yarn Shoppe and discovered a brand new display of Namaste Bags from the Cali Collection. I was instantly smitten. I spoke with both my husband and my BKB extensively after thoroughly going over both styles - the Newport and the Laguna - and we all agreed that the Newport (which was smaller) was probably the bag I needed. My husband told me to go ahead and buy one....but I just couldn't justify it. A knitting bag is, after all, a luxury....and mine was perfectly serviceable if way too big and not at all practical for daily use.

Then came the great closet clean out. You may remember that I started that process by gifting a sweater that I had made for myself to my BKB, Jenn. I was overjoyed that the sweater had found its true home, and I was relieved to have that symbol of dietary failure out of the house. I know a lot of people don't understand this, but I am the type of knitter who just wants to know that her knits are being used and loved. I am also a process knitter who's not so attached to the finished project - so if it finds a home with someone who loves and uses it, I'm happy. In this case I was VERY happy because it went to one of my closest friends, who is also a knitter. A couple of weeks later, Jenn and I agreed to meet at Hillcreek during our morning errands. I walked in to find that they had received a second shipment of bags with new colors...and the delighted squeals began. I had just about decided to go ahead and buy a bag with my class earnings, and it seemed like Jenn was going to be a great enabler for this plan. She gently nudged me to make a final decision on the style and color I wanted. It took a while. (Which is really unlike me....but I liked so many of them!) Once it was decided, Jenn grabbed the bag and took it to the register. What I didn't know was that she had decided to give me a special gift too....and the yarn shop was in on it. The whole thing was done before I had time to protest. Tears started to flow...and I have to admit to being rather shell-shocked for the rest of the day.

My bag is indeed big enough to hold an entire adult sweater or several smaller projects. When full it actually weighs about the same as my Amy Butler bag does when empty. (How sad is that...) Plus, it's gorgeous enough that it can be used as a purse in all situations - which allows me to truly take my knitting everywhere now. I do have one rule, and that is that I must be able to easily close the bag before I leave the house so that I don't over stuff it. So far, that's not been a problem at all. (And my acupuncturist is thrilled with my new, 'reasonable' bag...)

Thank You Jenn, for my wonderful bag...and for being such a great friend! It's been a long while since I had such a great friend, and I am very glad to have you.

Comments

Popular Posts