Good News, Bad News

The Green Woman and I took Forestry outside today for a bit of a photo shoot. As we stood back and gazed at her, we both marveled at how beautiful this sweater truly is.

The color is a perfect heathered brown - appropriately named 'ember' - that shifts and glows in different lights with subtle reds, browns, yellows and greens.

The design is scrumptious. There are enough cables for interest, but not so many that it feels busy, and the two sides perfectly mirror each other. The ribbing around the collar and bands is beautifully balanced, and short rows behind the neck make the back sit perfectly across the neck. The shaping, which I adjusted ever so slightly up because I am short-waisted, lines up perfectly with my natural curves. We agreed that it was the perfect sweater for me.

Too bad it doesn't fit. (We both stuck our tongues out after we were done admiring it.) Somewhere along the line, my measurements or my math went wrong, and the resulting sweater is about two sizes too small. I haven't quite decided yet if I was unconsciously knitting for the size I want to be or if I made a simple knitting error.

For now, Forestry will be tucked away in my drawers. I just don't have the heart to frog this one just yet, and I don't know if I ever will.

The Green Woman thinks I should keep her as incentive.

We shall see.

Project Details:
Pattern: Forestry (Ravelry Link) by Veronik Avery, Fall 2008 Vogue Knitting
Yarn: Jo Sharp Classic DK Wool, Embers
Needles: Addi Turbo, US sizes 3 & 6
Modifications: regauged the project (argh), moved the waist shaping up one inch for a better fit.
Things I Wish I Had Done: found a yarn in the right gauge, knit it in the right size, made the collar wider for a deeper shawl collar
September 3 - October 24, 2008

Comments

Paula said…
It is a beautiful sweater, both the color and styling. All knitters know the feeling: that raw realization that the garment you have spent so many hours on does not fit the intended wearer. I agree with Greenwoman that you should set it back and think on it for a while.
Bonnie said…
It is a very beautiful sweater. Don't frog it! Just hang onto it for awhile.

I cast on for my Forestry the other day. I hope I don't meet the same fate, as I love the pattern and my yarn!

Popular Posts