Socks!

In the interest of actually getting this post done, I decided not to wait until my husband and I could coordinate for him to model his new socks. Instead, I'm using my one and only set of sock blockers - which makes for quite a funny picture as they are my size and my husband's feet are obviously considerably bigger than mine!

These are quite lovely socks, and the yarn is fantastic. The pattern is my basic Ann Budd pattern, the needles are Knit Picks Harmony 2.25 mm needles, and the yarn is Leili from The Unique Sheep (which I purchased when it was still Liisu Yarns). They are made for a custom fit for my husband - which means they are composed of 80 stitches around with 80 rows in the leg and 60 in the foot using 2x2 rib to get a cozy fit.

And once again, I would like to say that it's a delight to knit for someone who appreciates his socks so much!
I also finished up six more mini socks. I only have 10 to go before I'm completely caught up with the Wee socks, but 5 or 6 is usually as many as I can make at a time before my attention is drawn elsewhere. I AM thinking of an art project so that I can put all of my minis on display somewhere in the house - most likely in my little corner of the basement. The only problem with that plan is that I must admit that I do enjoy handling them..
When I made my list of socks earlier this week I discovered something rather interesting. I have completed 49 pair in the last 7 years - which I think is rather fantastic. That's a lot of warm, cozy love that I've shared with my family!
It also got me to thinking....what did I want to do for my 50th pair? That is a rather special number, after all, and it deserves a special pair of socks.
After consulting with my guild Tuesday night I knew exactly what I wanted to do. Sevenish years ago, I didn't know that I only needed one skein of my now beloved Opal to make a pair of socks and so I doubled up on the first two colorways I purchased. My father was the lucky recipient of my very first pair - made from a speckled orange - and to this day they are his favorite pair. As I still have that second skein of speckled orange, I decided that for my 50th pair I would use it to make a matching set for myself....thus bringing my sock life full circle.
I also have a goal to be caught up on ALL of my minis by the time I finish my 50th pair so that with the next pair I can start making the mini as soon as the big socks are finished. It'll just be easier that way.
Now...back to the Christmas knitting.

Comments

Anne P said…
A fantastic plan! I like symmetry and cyclical stuff like that. :)
Leciawp said…
It is fantastic thinking about all those warm and cozy feet out there as a result of your efforts :) Also, great that enjoy it so much. Not everyone has a hobby they love.
Shelda said…
Sounds like a great plan! Glad you got it finalized. It's so interesting to me how a plan just sort of crystallizes things. Or maybe the plan itself is the crystallization ;)

I've decided that to narrow my "list" to 13 socks, each sock needs a reason to be on the list. It's helping me narrow things down. And being kinda fun at the same time.

Popular Posts