In Which I Discover That I'm Physically Incapable of "Random"

As you know, I've been in a "Bead" sort of mindset lately. Finding myself feeling rather on the tired side of things, I decided to spend yesterday stringing beads for a couple of bracelets that I've been planning on making for quite some time. Both are Bead Stew Kits from Earth Faire - a delightful store which focuses on the fantastic combination of beads and knitting. What could be better?!

The instructions are rather straightforward - you string the beads from the kit randomly and then knit up the bracelet. Seems simple, right?

Yes, well, it's simple until you throw my own personal neurosis into the mix.

First up was Moonflowers - a pale, quiet mix which does indeed remind me moonlight. I strung up the beads, took one look, and promptly took them all back off of the thread. I started again...and was only 20 or so beads in when I knew that random was never going to work for me.

I tried. I really, really tried.

30 minutes later, I had divided up all of the beads into empty little tea boxes. There were 7 moon beads, which meant that there were six spaces in between. I beaded a few edge beads - and the first of the moons - and then set about dividing up the beads into the six spaces. There were actually only two other types of beads that really stood out. Those I evenly shared out among the boxes. Then I eyeballed the division of the rest (Yes, I considered counting them out....but that would have pushed the crazy too far.) Once all of that was done, I had only to pour out a box of beads and string them as randomly as I was capable of, finishing off each section with a moon. And yes, I was quite pleased once I was done.
Today I want to string the deep forest bracelet. We'll see how that goes....

Comments

Paula said…
That's funny. I can totally be random. Was putting shish kabobs together with my son's girlfriend, who is more like you. Her kabobs were in precisely the same order of pepper, onion, meat, zucchini, mushroom, etc. Mine were higgely piggely. I realized mine were driving her nuts so I let her finish the job. ;) I think she was a lot happier. And she probably took my kabobs apart and redid them.
Leciawp said…
Random doesn't work for me, either :)

Popular Posts