2008 Creative Year In Review - Part 2

Of course, knitting wasn't the ONLY thing that happened this year in Chez Green Woman...

I began last year with a burning need to learn how to draw. I've not been able to devote as much time to it as I'd hoped, but I have done enough to show possibility. I also went back in time and discovered that I do have it in me...I just need to put in the work to bring it forth. This is a copy of the design on my old Amy Butler knitting bag - done last April. It's by far my favorite, mostly because I still can't believe that I was able to do this without looking at the paper! It's actually pretty darn close....
I did this bird back in February. No, it's not quality by any means, but I do love him. Why? Because everyone that sees this picture immediately asks why the bird looks so ticked off. It may not have been done on purpose, but I did give him personality and emotion...and I'm proud of that!

My inner magpie came out this year, and I found myself drawn to beads like never before. Specifically, I seem to have a fondness for tiny, sparkly seed beads. Mmmm....happy. For the most part, I like to add the beads to my - what else - knitting projects, but I have also learned some basic beading techniques so that I can make myself the occasional piece of jewelry. You could say that I know just enough to be dangerous.
Most of my non-knitting time this year, though, was devoted to my spinning wheel. Highlights include Le Tour De Fleece, becoming more familiar with my beautiful drop spindle, my first true lace weight and being hired as the handspinning judge for an upcoming alpaca show. My only regret for the year is that I didn't build my spinning into a more consistent practice. It remains something that I do in fits and starts - although I typically do an entire batch of fiber at once to avoid problems later on. I am still in love with my lendrum, and am incredibly grateful to my grandmother for buying it for me in 2007.
Oh, and I taught someone else to spin this year too....
Most importantly, though, is the fact that I returned to writing in 2008. I hadn't entirely realized how much I missed it until I began this blog. It's been a joy to find my voice again, and I thank you all for being a part of that.
The Green Woman continues to move in my life in interesting ways...and tomorrow I'll tell you about where she's going to send me next.

Comments

margene said…
I love your drawings. Drawing is something I've tried off and on and would like to do better.
Bonnie said…
I think the bird is ticked off because the squirrels keep eating all his bird seed!

Happy New Year!!!
Leciawp said…
You are quite the artist! Happy New Year to you!!
Paula said…
The bird is definitely scolding someone.

I'm being drawn to beads also. A whole new territory to explore.

Have a wonderful 2009!

Popular Posts