I've Got A Horse Right Here,

If you would have asked me a couple of years ago what I do for fun, I would probably have gone blank and been unable to answer.


Literally.


It happened multiple times...with my acupuncturist, my trainer, my doctor....


Sad.


SO, I have been trying to change all of that.


You might not know this about me, but I adore musical theater. In fact, since high school the only music I've purchased (with a very few exceptions) has been soundtracks to Broadway shows. My wedding? The music was all from musicals and movies. It's just me. Too bad I can't sing worth a lick!


My husband has indulged me by going to see a few guy-friendly productions, but by and large it just isn't his thing.


Enter Frankie Pooh...the friend I babysit for. Half way through this last school year she asked me if I would like to get season tickets to Starlight with her. (For those of you not from the KC, MO area, Starlight is one of the last two outdoor theaters left in the country.) Would I?!!!!! Heck yes! After some debate we settled on a three-pack of tickets, and last Saturday night we attended our first show.


And that show was the fabulous classic, Guys And Dolls.


Guys and Dolls holds a special place in my heart because my high school performed it during my senior year. The drama club had become my special haven by that point, a respit to the stress of my academic life. Given my spectacular lack of vocal talent, I helped out as much as possible behind the stage. My primary job was to choreograph everything but the Hot Box dancers. This job landed me right in the middle of helping choreograph the fight scene in Havana (which was spectacularly fun!)....which led me to a small roll as the Cuban Dance Girl.


Oh yes, you can laugh.


The running joke for the last 20 years has been, "Because you look REAL Cuban!"


In fact, that's the first thing my husband said when I told him the story Saturday night.


Nevertheless, I had an infinitesimal career on the stage as part of the dancing couple in this and one other local production since I and my best friend, Mel, knew how to at least fake it and no one else did.


So that's me in that picture - the palest, blondest Cuban dance girl in the world - with Mel as Sky Masterson. He always played the lead because he was just that good. It was my one and only performance in a musical, and is a memory that I will always treasure.


And by the way...Starlight's Guys & Dolls was phenomenal, I had forgotten how much I love the music, and I can't wait for our next two shows!


Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am having fun again.


Thanks Mel for letting me use that picture!

PS. I think I perhaps might have been the finest Cuban Dance Girl there ever was.


Comments

quantumtea said…
St Louis has an outdoor theatre too, the Muny in Forest Park. I saw Miss Saigon there a few years back, and there was a real helicopter.

I took up playing flute in high school so I would never have to sing in public ever again.
Unknown said…
You're certainly the most beautiful Cuban Dance Girl there ever was (and will be).
Anne P said…
This one holds a special place in my family's heart too. My cousin, Nate, is named for Nathan Detroit - my uncle played the role when he was in college. He will spontaneously break into snippits of lyrics occasionally, just because. :)
Shelda said…
Fun, fun! Fun is really good! Thanks for sharing that memory; it's a lovely one!
Leciawp said…
Oh that is so fun!! And I love knowing that about you :)

Popular Posts