Where Did My Afternoon Go?

I had good intentions.

The call of my spinning wheel and spindles has been growing strong....fed by posts from blogging friends as well as an influx of fantastic new books.

There are a few Christmas gifts still to knit... not to mention a huge stash of lovely things.

Under my desk lives a basket of repair work, my embroidery materials and a quilt that needs to be pieced.

So what did I do today?

I read.

When I was young, my nose was always in a book. I'm probably the only kid in America who got into trouble on a regular basis for reading too much. (And by the way, I'm being paid back in spades for that one....) That love of books carried on through my college years - paving the way for a degree in English - and into my early married life.

Then I had kids.....and the reader in me had to be set aside for more important things. Once in a while I indulge, but for the most part my love of books has been sadly denied. I would be lying if I didn't fess up that I really, really miss my books...and that it hurts to have them all set aside - even if they are being set aside for people and things that I love with all of my heart.

Earlier this summer I decided to reread the books of my favorite author, Charles De Lint. My husband perhaps thought I was a tad nuts when I spent an afternoon searching all of my boxes downstairs for each and every De Lint treasure that I own....a total of 36 books. The only question was how to go about rereading them? In the end I settled on a plan of first going through the Newford books in order of their publication. After all, in some ways the Newford books can be seen as one giant story that becomes deeper and more beautiful with each book set in that fictional city. Once I'm finished, I'll go back and read the others....also in order of publication.

Earlier this week I began rereading Trader, which just so happens to be the first De Lint book I bought in hardback. As of today, I officially hit the point where I couldn't escape the book if I tried.

That's a good place to be.

The hard part? Waiting before I begin the next book....

Comments

Leciawp said…
:) I'm the same way sometimes.
Anne P said…
He's such a great writer. I love the mental imagery of his works. My dad got me hooked on his stuff.
margene said…
I've always been a reader, too. Now I knit while listening to my iPod. It's the best way to follow both passions.
Shelda said…
You're not the only kid who regularly got in trouble for reading too much! Nope!

Popular Posts