10 Things

Last Thursday night I had a wonderful time presenting a really fun program to my P.E.O. chapter. It was an impromptu sort of program as I was stepping in for a sister who moved away this summer. (We still miss her very much!) I didn't have a whole lot of time to build a program, and so I decided that we should have a game night...with our sisters being the stars. I had my email coordinator send out an email, asking each sister to send me three fun facts about herself - facts that people probably wouldn't know. What I received was completely charming, and so much fun! At our meeting I then read the facts and had the sisters guess who they belonged to. There were even prizes for both the game winners (8/22 was the best!) and for those who had submitted the most interesting facts. It was probably the most fun I've had with my chapter, and I learned a lot about my sisters.

And because I'm in a mood this evening, I thought I'd share with you 10 fun things about me that you might not know!
  1. As a college freshman I belonged to the fencing team. I even competed in a tournament just before the holidays...and although I was soundly beaten and way outclassed, I had a lot of fun! (Had a bout with the #2 girl in the US.)
  2. My first 'big girl' book was Heidi, which I read in the 2nd grade. At the time, that was very advanced...although my daughter has easily already reached that level.
  3. I attended Missouri Scholars Academy as a student in 1990 and then as an RA in 1994. It changed my life...and led me to my husband.
  4. I was in the last class to learn how to read with the ITA method, which uses symbols instead of letters. Google it. It explains why my spelling is so iffy.
  5. I was bitten on the nose by my favorite angora rabbit when I was 14. Try explaining those teeth marks in high school!
  6. I took dance lessons for 15 years, and was very good at tap.
  7. I was given the Unsung Hero award in drama club my senior year in high school, and I also lettered in drama - thanks to my teacher who tracked points for me.
  8. When I was about 8 I was given my first cow. I named her Laura - after Laura Ingells Wilder - and it broke my heart when we had to sell her because she couldn't calve. It was even worse when I got the thank you note telling me how tasty she was.
  9. My professor in my very first Honors English class in college told me that my first paper was publishable. It was based upon Frankenstein and The Phantom of the Opera, and was entitled, "Crying For the Monsters."
  10. I'm currently hooked on Glee.

Comments

Leciawp said…
This is such a great list!! Fencing?!

The writing bit doesn't surprise me at all - you are a great writer.

That is the saddest thing ever about your cow and I cannot BELIEVE someone sent you a note like that. Good grief.

I remember you mentioning ITA once before; I've never heard of it in any other context.

Thanks for this most interesting and enjoyable list!
margene said…
Getting to know you...list like this always make me smile. You've had quite an interesting life so far!
Anne P said…
How fun!

When we moved to VT our very kind next-door neighbors had us over for dinner, which was nice - but the photo/name-cards of which cow we were eating wasn't exactly appetite-wheting, ya know?
Paula said…
Very fun post! I liked reading the facts about you. Actually none of your accomplishments surprised me much because you are so talented. I agree that the note about the tasty beef was totally tasteless!

Popular Posts