The Violin Lessons

Did you know that I once took violin lessons?


It's true. I studied the violin for about six months during my senior year in college. My grandmother gave me the money to rent a violin, and I found an excellent violinist through the university who was willing to teach me. Why? Well, I had always loved the violin and imagined that it could be something that I would enjoy doing.


Unfortunately, I was really, really bad at it. My fingers are short, and I couldn't get them to relax enough to ever become comfortable in the correct positions. I didn't really have enough time to devote to practicing, being very busy with work, school and boyfriend. Besides, I just don't have a whole lot of natural talent for making music! The stars were against me, and after my six months I returned the violin and moved on.


I have never once regretted those lessons. It would be so easy to look at the time and money spent as a waste, but they weren't. I had always wanted to try the violin, and while the dream in my head was a far cry from my reality, I think it was worth the effort to at least try. In fact, I look back at that rented violin as one of the smartest things I ever did.

I guess sometimes you just have to let go and live a little. I think way too often we have hopes and dreams that never are realized because we don't truly understand how important it is to at least try. Who knows? It could be that one little dream could become a lifelong passion or could lead to a dramatically different life. It could also turn out that it's just not something you're good at, but was really fun to learn about.

You just never know!

Comments

Popular Posts