What The Heck Is Smut? (Part 1)

Because apparently grass and grain smut are just about the ONLY inhalants I'm not allergic to. That and Elm....

Let me explain.

I spent three hours yesterday in the offices of Dr. Laurie Fowler, who is not only a friend from church but is also one of the most respected allergists in my area. In fact, if you mention her name in casual conversation anywhere in this town, you are almost guaranteed to find a patient of hers who will quite happily speak of her in glowing terms. Dr. Fowler has helped a lot of people - including some very, very good friends of mine - and she has a reputation for being able to find answers where other doctors have failed.

I began to suspect that a trip to see Dr. Fowler might be in order back in January - before the surgery upended my life. I had been working with my personal trainer for about seven months, and we were both becoming rather concerned about my ongoing tummy problems...which seemed to be getting worse despite the fact that my diet had improved significantly. Also, my BKB's husband had begun seeing Dr. Fowler, and because of his experiences and that of friends she began to urge me to consider an appointment for myself. Of course, we all know what happened in March...and once I wound up on the surgical table my digestive issues became the least of my worries for a while.

But then this summer I had a long conversation with Dr. Fowler herself at my daughter's Primary Camp, where Dr. Fowler was the (highly overqualified, but fabulous) camp nurse. As we commiserated over some medical situations, she put her doctor's cap on and by the time we left camp I had a quasi-diagnosis and a book recommendation. I came home, bought the book, and instantly recognized myself in it. The sugar/yeast/dairy free experiment came shortly thereafter, and while it didn't stick I can't deny that I noticed a difference in the 10 days I was able to do it. (Sorry, can't find the posts right now!)

Unfortunately, those 10 days were also marked by some pretty horrendous withdrawal problems that mostly manifested in the most horrible mood of my life. Ask my (sweet, kind, very understanding) BKB, who managed to be on the receiving end of the worst of my behavior. I'm just grateful that I recognized I was being a complete monster...and that she accepted my apology! So I decided to return to a normal diet until which time I could see Dr. Fowler for an official appointment. As I said, though, she's a very good doctor, and I had to wait over three months for the first available new patient appointment.

Which leads me to yesterday, when I finally found myself sitting down with Dr. Fowler in her official capacity to discuss my life and the many medical issues which have plagued me for years.

Because I recognize this is going to be a long discussion, I am going to break it into three parts. (Feel free to skip over all of this if you want! I promise we'll have some more fun, crafty stuff when I get through this....the Green Woman and I do have some very important things to share with you!) In the second post I'll discuss which medical issues I'm referring to and will do a brief synopsis of my journey towards health over the last few years, and in the third we'll talk about the answers we've found and what I'm going to do about it!

Comments

Popular Posts