The Green Woman Took Away My Knitting Needles

Which really isn't that big of a deal. So I took my beautiful Sandalwood merino (bottom left) and decided to spin up a chunky (for me) yarn. Yep, I had planned to do the pink I showed you a few days ago, but honestly the Sandalwood just screamed FALL, and after a couple of days of unusually warm temperatures I needed the reminder. (Plus, the Princess told me I should pick the Sandalwood.)
I had two bundles - each 8 oz - and I decided to keep it simple. First I divided each bundle in half so that I could fill four bobbins as easily as possible.
I then tore each piece into 10-12 inch long chunks, which I predrafted a bit before spinning the singles as chunky as is possible for me. Easy peasy.
Out came the plying head and bobbin...because I like nice, big, fat skeins!
Here's a picture for scale. I believe it took about two hours to fill each bobbin with the singles, and then plying took about another hour and a half. I'm used to spinning very fine yarns, so for me this was an exceedingly fast project.
And voila!
Two days of spinning yields two gigantic skeins (16 oz. total) of lovely, squishy yarn. It's EXACTLY what I wanted!

And the Princess has already requested that I knit something for her with this yarn.

Comments

Anne P said…
What great colors! I think the Princess was right to ask for this one next. :)
Bonnie said…
Beautiful yarn! I can't wait to see what you make with it.
margene said…
Your Green Woman is extremely smart. Nice work! Is more spinning in your future or are you allowed to knit again?
Shelda said…
But how will you knit something if she took away your knitting needles?!

Popular Posts