Wednesday, February 8, 2012

100 Days

I thought I would want to jump up and down and throw a party today.  After all, I've been looking forward to this occasion for quite some time now, and today does represent a fairly hefty accomplishment.

Instead, I'm feeling quiet, reflective, and more than a little bit sad.

Today is my 100th day of Clean Eating on my Allergy Diet.

To be honest, there have been a few slips....not many...but they've been there.  The difference is that this time I didn't let those slips turn into stumbles which carried me to the edge of a cliff and then sent me over the edge to tumble down, down, down - head over heels - into the depths of despair.  (I like to imagine Wesley and Buttercup when I'm visualizing this.)  This time I slipped, but quickly picked myself up, FORGAVE myself, and got back to the business of doing the best I could do...which is why I still count today as 100.

Novel concept, this being nice to myself. 

I would also like to add that this time there has been a pretty big price to pay for each and every slip.  Having been clean for a time, my body is now extremely touchy and gets pretty upset if I ingest an allergen.  My doctor calls this, "unmasking,"  which means that I've moved from a state of chronic illness to one of acute reactions.  In a way, I'm grateful for the heightened reactions because they are scary enough to frighten me away from the things I shouldn't eat. 

At any rate, 100 is a big number...but it's just a drop in the ocean.

I would be lying if I didn't cop to the fact that the social difficulties of this diet are really starting to come into focus. I've found myself withdrawing quite a bit lately rather than face up to them.

But that is a post for another day....or another blog.

Today, I'll focus on the positive.

So what exactly do I get from this diet?  I think many people are surprised at just how much of my overall health and well-being my food allergies have affected.  A partial list (and believe me, I could go on and on if I wanted to!) of benefits includes: 
  • freedom from tummy aches, gas, digestive distress, constant (and embarrassing) belching...in sort, every IBS symptom that has been plaguing me on a near daily basis since I was 17
  • Freedom from joint pain, (most) headaches, locked muscles, and carpal tunnel
  • greatly reduced anxiety levels, an even temperament, and rapidly evaporating depression problems
  • relief from acne and from facial swelling (which I didn't notice until it was gone)
  •  freedom from the crazy exhaustion and brain fog
  • lessened chemical sensitivity
  • the best - and most consistent - sleep I've ever had
  •  falling numbers on the scales (without any effort)
100 days down...a lifetime to go.

Thank you all for indulging me by allowing me to share this journey with you.

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

Congrats on 100 days. You're awesome! Please keep sharing; it's really inspiring.

Shelda said...

I've been in a rebellion phase, so it was really good to read this. Sigh. I have to change some things, big time. Thanks for sharing again why this is important. I need to get to a list like that for myself.

Hang in there, girlfriend!

Alpaca Lady said...

I am so proud of you! Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Feeling well is the best way to stay focused. My slip ups have not been intentional, but I know when I've had something I shouldn't.
Margene

A Day That is Dessert said...

Congratulations! xoxo