The first section I did - the right front - was the offending portion. I knew there was a problem there, but it took me a while to figure it out. Can you see it?
That's right....there's a shorter zig in the middle where I turned around and zagged one row too quickly.
Also complicating the problem, the row numbers on the chart didn't line up properly with their corresponding rows. When I did the neck shaping for that first piece I hadn't caught the mistake...and so my shaping was ever so slightly off.
Those two errors - both user and pattern - meant that I didn't catch on right away to the fact that this whole piece was two rows too short AND I had made what I felt to be a fairly obvious mistake in the pattern.
The debate then becomes whether or not to fix....and I suppose you know the answer to that before I even have to say anything.
First I unraveled that section back to the point where the neck shaping had begun.
Take a deep breath - especially those of you who are faint-hearted -
Dropped the stitches all the way down to where the mistake was. (For the record, that was almost back to the place where I had divided the body for the sleeves!) Another DPN was then used to pick up the live stitches so that I could...
Reknit them all back up! I wound up leaving one dropped stitch on the left side because it gave me just enough wiggle room to make the whole process comfortable for my hands.
Reknit the shaping and cast off for the shoulders.
My mother is happy.
And so am I.