Sheep Shearing, Etc.

Inside the rotunda of the MO State Capital Building.
I totally LOVE the circles!
  • Yesterday was the third annual Belle Ridge Farm Sheep Shearing Extravaganza.
  • It was also 34 degrees outside, with a wicked North wind and a drizzle of something that resembled slush. 
  • Thus, no new pictures.
  • If you want to know what it looked like, check out last year's post. The only difference was that we had 18 sheep this time around, there was a slightly different cast of characters among the humans, and we were all blue with cold despite a gazillion layers.
  • Seriously....despite two pair of wool socks it took me over an hour to thaw my feet.
  • Mom saved my hands with a rather delicious pair of felted wool mittens.
  • I ran a gate.  Not exciting, except for that I'm rather surprised I don't have a giant bruise on my hip the size of Zeke's head as our lovely ram tried to go through me to get back to his buds as soon as he became naked. 
  • I also ran the fleeces to the house for storage....offering me wee breaks to thaw a bit!
  • So we now have 18 beautiful fleeces - none of which I intend on taking this year - and 18 naked sheep!
  • We also may have babies very, very soon....so exciting!
  • So why am I not taking any fleece this year?  I haven't used any of the three I got last year yet....uh....
  • And the wheel is still not functioning properly....
  • Besides, the one I'm interested in is from Mom's ewe, and as she's a new spinner I'm pretty sure she's going to keep it for herself!  (As well she should!)
  •  
  • Baby is still in the hospital. 
  • I'm still knitting. 
  • I took a break from knitting to see if she just wanted to beat me. 
  • Now I'm rather superstitiously thinking I need to finish it so that she can go home....
  • She is the most beautiful baby in the world!
  • I admit, I visit a lot...because I'm selfish and like to cuddle babies!
  • (Update!  As of this morning, as soon as the hospital can locate a specialty car-bed (for use instead of a standard carseat), the baby can go home!)
  •  
  • Let's see, what else?
  •  
  • Overall, I would say that my life on my allergy/paleo autoimmune diet has been consistently getting easier over time. 
  • However, I took a big tumble off of the wagon last month, so I'm now doing a 21 Day Sugar Detox/AIP reboot. 
  • The VERY helpful thing is that I have a friend partnering with me who is also very dedicated to the paleo lifestyle. 
  • Detox has been really different this time...which is both odd and fascinating.
  • It's time to stop kidding myself with the 'It's ok to cheat occasionally' BS.  No, it's not ok to cheat AT ALL, and I need to suck it up and be a better example to my kids.
  • It might end up being my vanity that ends up keeping me on track...
  • As far as exercise is concerned, I'm still not on an official program.
  • BUT....I'm steadily becoming more active in my daily life.
  • It's a first step!
  • I hope this time to do it the right way, gradually building up so that I don't wear myself out.
  •  
  • We have Winston to thank for a more active lifestyle. 
  • He is, quite simply, the perfect pup.
  • We also call him (in no specific order) Winky, Winsty, Winsty Pooh, Winston the Pooh, Ding Dong Dog (when he does something bad or dumb), Sir Puppy Pants, Winston the Wonder Dog and (rarely) Churchill.
  • He's doing a million times better on the leash, so I'm walking him more and more.  This is good as I really did want an exercise companion.
  • We're doing well in our puppy classes....but he's still pretty young, so he would prefer to spend the classes playing.
  • The girls adore him....and he adores them!
  • The big shocker is that he and our 12 year old papillion managed to work out their differences last week, and are now playing together quite nicely.
  • Of course, it is rather hilarious to watch a wee papillon playing with a big, old lab....
  • Did I tell you that he's perfect?
  •  
  • Crafting...well, huh...I should do something fun. 
  • Instead, I think I will begin spring cleaning.  I'm afraid my brain is full of cobwebs right now, and if I clean out the house perhaps I'll blow them clean as well. 
  • Which is to say, I have few ideas right now.  Very few.  Ok, none. (crickets....)
  • Need to work on that!
  •  
  • Have a great week!

Comments

Popular Posts