Letting In Her Very Own Green Girl

Last summer my girl told me about an idea she had.

Mom, I want to make my own quilt.  It will have a flower for spring, an ice cream cone for summer, a pumpkin for fall and a snowflake for winter.

That's a tall order, I said, you'd better ask Grandma to help you with that.

 And so she did.

The quilt has been a wonderful project for the two of them to share.  The Princess looked through all of Mom's books and patterns to find just the perfect design for each season.  (She drew the flower template for spring herself!)  Mom let her raid her fabric stash to pick the colors she wanted, and then they cut and pieced together.  I believe a few field trips to the quilt shop were required - certainly for backing, and possibly for some of the blocks as well.  Once the blocks were finished they decided together how best to organize the top so that Mom could finish putting it together.  This last weekend they quilted it on Mom's long-arm quilting machine....with Mom letting my girl do much of that work by herself.  Mom stayed up late last night to finish the binding, and we were able to bring it home with us today!

Amazing, isn't it?!

Personally, I love the fact that the colors go so well together with absolutely no forethought or planning whatsoever.  I also love that it's so perfectly my girl.
At 9 she's already learned to let her muse in....to follow her artistic ideas and to make them into a reality.  She takes each and every step and challenge in stride and enjoys the entire process.  Her vision is clear and focused...but she also rolls with it and can shift her plans to make it work.

Because of all of that, she's tucked in bed underneath her very first design project.  It's a very big accomplishment indeed for a girl who's only 9.

Of course, none of this would have been possible without the help of my Mom.  Thanks Mom for everything you did to make this possible!

Comments

Shelda said…
WOW... just, wow! That's so, so lovely. I can imagine it as a comforting friend now, and a wonderful heirloom later.

I'm sure the fact that her mom and grandmother are such creative types helps. I always enjoyed all the needlewomen in my own family. It's a very nice connection with them.

You go, princess!!
Leciawp said…
Fantastic!! What an amazing accomplishment.

Popular Posts