Inspiration

Raphaelle Peale, American, c1822
Permanent Collection of the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
Kansas City, MO


I first saw this painting as a child, and distinctly remember the shock I felt when I realized that the linen was actually a part of the painting....and not an actual piece of fabric that had been hung in front of the painting for no apparent reason. Since then, I've gone back to the Nelson many times, and am always drawn to this small piece of rather unusual art.

So why do I share it with you today? Well, I'm doing a bit of palette-cleansing as I prepare to move on to my next project and for some reason I've found myself thinking of this painting quite a bit. Perhaps it's the drape which reminds me of how I like to drape my shawls in the tree behind the house....perhaps it's just the novelty of it all....or perhaps it's just because I miss it. I haven't been to the Nelson in years, which needs to be remedied.

Who knows.

I hope you enjoy it, and come back tomorrow for more creative hi jinks at Chez Green Woman!

Comments

Leciawp said…
That is novel - thanks for the link!
Jenny said…
Ah, I've admired that painting too! The linen cloth looks so real you want to touch it. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Popular Posts