The Mystery of the Missing Minis....or, My Big, Fat Christmas Annoyance

As you all know, I like to knit mini socks. In general, I like to knit one for each pair of regular socks that I knit. Here, you see my latest batch. Often people ask me what I do with my minis. This whole thing started as a bit of a lark and has, after all, turned into quite the obsession. I LOVE my minis, and so OF COURSE they need to be displayed in a way befitting their specialness.

And so, every year for the holidays I set up my 5-foot artificial pencil tree and completely cover it with all things handmade. (My husband has a matching tree in the basement. It's decorated in Star Wars. To each his own.) My handwork tree has become near and dear to my heart, and I love being able to add to it each year.

The problem is that mini socks tend to attract a lot of unwanted attention from the small creatures in this house that call themselves "children." Said beasts have caused lots of problems in the past by playing with the mini socks...moving them around at will and sometimes making them disappear for a time. This causes the Green Woman and I no end of irritation as we then have to constantly count and recount the minis to make sure they all return safely to the tree.

My solution to the problem was apparently to bundle up the socks after last Christmas and put them away somewhere safe. (As opposed to putting them in my bedroom where the wee beasties can get to them throughout the year.) Quite naturally, this deviation from the norm means that the mini socks are now missing.

Tomorrow....we tear the house apart.

Comments

Bonnie said…
Hmmm, the Case of the Missing Mini Socks...time to channel Nancy Drew. I hope you find them!

Popular Posts