A Dream Come True

Several years ago I fell in love with a Lily of the Valley shawl that was published in Spin Off. If I remember correctly, the story was about a woman in Africa who had been making Lily of the Valley Shawls for years which were based on a pattern she had learned as a child in Europe. I was entranced by both the story and the beauty of the design.

Every since then, I have wanted a Lily of the Valley shawl of my own, and have considered many patterns. None of them were just right, though. One was knit with too small of a gauge, another had edging that was entirely sewn on and was too loose anyway. A third had a pretty gauge, but was done in a boring rectangle. Nope, none of them were for me...but I kept looking.

And then last month Piecework published Nancy Bush's Summer Shawl as a preview for her upcoming book, Knitted Lace of Estonia. I knew it was THE ONE, and I immediately bought that issue. As luck would have it, I also had a cone of white Zephyr languishing in my stash that was just perfect for this pattern.*

I cast on last week, and couldn't be happier. This is one shawl that I will treasure.

Oh, and the minute that book is released, I am buying a copy. Seriously. Have you seen the cover shawl!!!

*Normally I'm not a big fan of white lace. Can't tell you why...it's a wacky personal preference thing. Off-whites, ivories and naturals are all fantastic...just not white.

Comments

Popular Posts