99

It's almost unbelievable.

This is the 99th pair of socks that I've knit.

I knit my first pair in the summer of 2003, and I fell in love.  

Knitting socks is quite wonderful in so many ways.  It's practical.  Handknit socks are comfy and can be knit for a custom fit.  They are beautiful.  They are also ephemeral, and if worn will eventually wear out....but it takes a long while if you make them right.  You can indulge in color and pattern and whatever other fun things you like, and yet they are small enough that the project usually goes quickly.

And so, in 16 years I've knit 99 pair!

In many ways, my 99th pair is just like my 1st:
1. They are both gifts.
2.  They were both knit from my favorite yarn, Opal..
3.  They were both knit on 2.25 mm needles.
4.  They both came from Anne Budd's lovely basic sock pattern in her brilliant book, The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns.
5.  They both took a fairly long time to knit - albeit for different reasons.

Lovely, lovely socks.  I hope to be knitting them to the end of my days.

Basic Socks, by Ann Budd
The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
Knit Picks Harmony DPN's - 2.25mm needles
Opal Sock Yarn (I never keep the bands, so I have no idea which type.)
December 27, 2018 - July 4, 2019

For Sean, who has many lovely qualities....
which include the fact that he loves his wife's handknit socks.



Comments

Popular Posts