At Long Last

I shared this handspun with you on April 29, 2008.

I was so, so proud of this laceweight.  It had been a joy to spin, and it had proven to be everything I wanted it to be.  It was the first time I'd set out to spin a specific type of yarn, and the results had far exceeded my dreams.

It was literally the 7th post on this blog.

From the very beginning, it was always intended to be a lace shawl...a shawl that I designed myself.  After all, special yarn deserved a special pattern, and this was to be mine from beginning to end.

But I never got around to it - even though I went so far as to publicly share my intentions to do that work in March of 2014, thus hopefully putting a bit of public pressure on myself to get my but moving.

We could discuss the whys for days.

I was overwhelmed with options.  I'd never designed my own anything before.  I didn't know where to start.  I was afraid of making a mistake.  It could turn out terribly. I didn't really know what I want.

In the end, all that really matters is that it's been sitting in my workbasket for 11 years.

Over the weekend I found myself in between projects - turning back to my spinning wheel for the first time since I went back to work.  It was a homecoming of sorts, and I was relieved to find that my hands remembered what to do after all.  (Silly me...of course they know what to do...my hands are clever.)  I also spent a little bit of time going through my fiber and handspun stash.

Which is when I heard this wee circle call my name. 

So here we are again...it's time to begin again, again.

Some decisions:

  1. I already know that I want to use Shetland lace patterns.  Much as I love other traditions, Shetland lace was my first great knitting love and it is the style that calls to me again and again and again.  (Besides, I only have about 1,000 yards, and I don't want to waste yarn on Estonian nupps...much as I love them.)
  2. I want the shawl to tell a story, much as the Spider Queen does.  But what story do I want to tell?  That question deserves some thought over the next few days.
  3. I'm keeping the central circle as is. 
  4. In fact, I will stick with Elizabeth Zimmerman's pi shawl as the central inspiration.
  5. Originally I had considered beads...but I think I'll let the yarn speak for itself. 
So here we go...another adventure with the Green Woman, hand in hand.

My muse of creativity has been quiet for a while, but she hasn't forgotten me.




Comments

Popular Posts