It Was His Year!

Those of you who know me really well, or who have followed along for a while, know that my husband gets a new sweater every other year.  2018 was his year, and so here is his Christmas Sweater!


 
Nelson Pullover by Irina Anikeeva
Interweave Knits, Fall 2017
Brown Sheep Nature Spun Worsted
(purchased from Little Knits - for a total of $30!)
US 6 (4.0 mm) and US 7 (4.5 mm) misc.
June 16 - November 27, 2018

A few notes:
1.  This was a delight to knit.  There were some new to me techniques, the cables were lovely, and once I really got going it actually knit up fairly quickly.
2.  Loved working with the yarn - which was soft, and I *thought* was great quality.
3. Sean looks great in it, and I do love the style.
4.  However, the collar - which I knit to exact specs - is way too floppy.  Why?  the gauge, as per instructions, is too loose to give it the sort of body it needs to stand up as it does in the pattern picture.  I also think it needs to be an inch or two shorter, and that the hemmed collar adds weight which pulls it over.
5. The big problem - he hadn't worn it more than a few times when it became clear that the yarn choice, again as per pattern specs, is a disaster.  It pills like crazy, and after a month the entire sweater looked like it was years old.  I'm actually quite mad about that.  Brown Sheep has a better reputation than that, but you'd better believe that after this I'll never use it again.
6.  Because of the yarn, this went from being a joy to knit to my least favorite of the sweaters I've made for my husband...which is super sad.

Comments

How frustrating! I've had similar things happen...such a lot of work and love went into that. :(

Popular Posts