One Year

Today, my friends.
 
Today was a good day.
 
Today was a day of celebration.
 
One year ago today I had a breakdown that proved to be cathartic...a breakdown that caused an incredible breakthrough.  I have been completely compliant on my allergy diet since then, and the changes in my life have been nothing short of miraculous.
 
I had planned to write a big blog post about how amazing and awful and everything inbetween this last year has been...a post about how proud I am of my accomplishments and where I plan to go from here...
 
But I've had almost no free time today, and am now incredibly tired. 
 
You see, I celebrated by running 10 miles this morning - an amazing feat for someone who has fought chronic illness her entire adult life.  I ran 10 hard miles, and felt my body and soul say yes to the world. 
 
And now...now I need to honor that work by getting some rest.
 
So instead of writing a big post, let me share with you the message I posted on FB to a special group of people who have become an important part of my support system.  It read:
 
"Hey Everyone!  Today is a day to celebrate!  It's my one year anniversary for getting myself totally on board with my allergy plan/diet!  (Trying to come up with an idea for what to call this holdiay...ideas?)   A year ago today I had a breakdown in my allergist's office, but that breakdown enabled me to refocus and make some changes so that I could find success.  Here I am, 40 lbs lighter, free of depression and anxiety, headache and pain free, with a clear mind, considerably better sleep, and more energy than I've had in years...among other changes!  I'll never be "cured," but I have figured out how to manage my allergies.  Most importantly, I've made peace with the limitations I live with, and have found ways to fill the gaps left by all that I've had to give up." 
 
Happy Anniversary to me.
 
Today is my very own liberation day.
 
One last thing before I go:
 
I would not have made it through this last year had it not been for the love and support of some very special people, and I want to take just a moment to say thank you.
 
Thank you to Dr. Laurie Fowler, for being the best doctor in the world.
 
Thank you to Jenn, Danielle, and Carrie.  I've searched my entire life for girlfriends like you, and there are days that I still can't believe my luck in having found you all.  Our time together is truly special, and has been key to helping me find peace.
 
Most of all, thank you to my husband, Sean, and my daughters, Gillian and Tanith.  All I ever really wanted was you....and you've all gone above and beyond to love, help, and support me as I've taken this long journey towards better health.  Our family makes me the richest woman in the world.
 
I am so very blessed, and I love you all.




This isn't a comprehensive list of everything I've written about my allergies, but these are the important posts that tell the story:
  1. What the Heck is Smut: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3
  2. What Happens When I Cheat
  3. The Uphill Climb
  4. No
  5. Dear Family and Friends
  6. What Is Different This Time
  7. The Agony and the Ecstasy of Fall
  8. Things That I Can't Control
  9. 160 Days And Counting: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3

Comments

Carrie said…
love you too - and am ridiculously proud. thank you for being such an inspiration and support system and soul purifier and . . .

Popular Posts