Summer Plans


We are not going to be able to attend reunion this year, and I'm going to miss this view of the morning mist over the valley on the road just outside of our church campgrounds.  That view is always a special treat which I enjoy on my early morning walk/run every day while we are there.

As May draws to a close - and the school year with it - I thought that I'd share some of my plans for this summer in lieu of my usual Monday List.*

Reading!
I'm going to admit something.  As much as I have enjoyed branching out over the last few years to explore more modern fiction and non-fiction across a variety of genres, I find myself growing a bit weary of all of it...especially of all of the high-faluting literary works.  I'm grateful to Books on the Nightstand and to my friends for helping me to find so many wonderful books, and I don't regret a single one of them.  (Even the books I didn't like so much.)  However, I'm ready to return to fantasy for a while.  I spent last month back in my beloved genre, and it was amazing.  I think it's time to go back to some of my favorite writers - old and new - in a genre that just makes me happy.  I *might* do a few rereads, and I do have some smaller new books to explore, but mostly I want to go back to the type of massive series that I used to devour on a regular basis.  It's going to be good!

Writing!
So here's the thing....I've always considered myself a writer, and so has just about everyone else that I know.  BUT.  I don't write.  I've not done any creative writing since probably before the girls were born, and all of my personal writing (journal included) has pretty much dried up over the last year.  I have seriously started to question the 'writer' label for myself, and this summer I need to figure out if that truly is who I am or if it's time to let that go.

Knitting!
I'd like to get one sweater for myself done this summer - preferably a cardigan that will be ready when the weather starts to cool in the fall.  I'm also going to continue on with the Great Stash Knit Down of 2015, because that just makes me happy!

There's also a big question I need to answer.  Just as I'm not sure if I'm a writer or if that's just what people expect of me, I'm also not sure if I am/want to be a knit designer or if that's just what I think people expect of me.  I talk about designing all of the time, but the fact is that I've never actually gotten around to doing anything about it.  Time to figure out if that's something I truly want to do, or if it's also something I need to let go of. 

Spinning!
Generally speaking, I usually spin more in the summer than at any other point in the year - and I'm hoping that this year is no exception.  I want to finish a laceweight project that's been on the wheel for forever, and I want to make a dent in some of the Jacob that's taking over my corner of the basement.  Ahem, I also still need to call Lendrum about my wheel.....

Family!
So we're not big on over scheduling the summer, and this year is no exception.  We have a few things on the calendar - cheerleading activities for my eldest, Fine Arts Explorers Camp for my youngest, SPEC - but by and large summer is a time to relax and just be.  I'll be sitting down with the girls this weekend to make a summer wish list of things to do.

The big thing is that we have to replace the flooring in our kitchen this summer, and I imagine that's going to end up being a massive project for us.  (Depending on cost, the living room and hall are also potentially up for new flooring.)  I'm not looking forward to it.  Sigh. 

Health!
Lots of good stuff has been going on in this catagory over the last five weeks, so the plan right now is to carry on and use the progress I've already made as a platform on which to build.  I'm feeling pretty optimistic right now!  (I think I'll save details for a later post.)  

And that's it for now!  What have you planned for this summer?

*The List has been absent for  the last couple of weeks - largely because we've been so very busy with all of the end of year wrap-up activities.  That, and I sprained my ankle and was in a really foul mood while it healed.  Truth!


Comments

That all sounds excellent! Knowing what we really are, and what we want to be, is so important...I've given up ideas more than once and discovered the truth of others. It's good.

Popular Posts