Mixed Feelings

 
 
Yesterday was a rather momentous occasion.
 
I took this picture moments before finishing my beloved blanket...a project 37 months in the making.
 
Then I made those last few stitches, tucked the blanket back in the basket, and set it aside so that I could think about it for a while.

It's hard for me to finish a big project like this - especially when I'm as attached to it as I've been to this blanket.  Every square, every yarn, every person who's contributed has been a joy.  To be surrounded by beauty while participating in the act of creation....well, that's a blessing.

I tend to be extraordinarily (and perhaps oddly) detached from my finished projects.  Once they come off of my needles, they've fulfilled their purpose and they move on to new lives.  Some stay and become well-used objects, some are gifted, some decorate our home, and some go into storage and are saved until they either tell me where they want to go live or I find a use for them.  I always want them to be used, and I hope that wherever they wind up they are truly loved

But it's not the same.

And it's never equal to the enjoyment I feel while in the process of knitting, which is why sometimes when I'm coming to the end of a big project that I've particularly enjoyed I find myself doing my best to avoid actually finishing it.  It's rather silly, but it's an old, old trick of mine.

The blanket itself sat in a basket for months and months before I faced the end.

It's a disgrace, though, to let something so beautiful go unfinished.

About a week ago I pulled my blanket out of it's basket and set to finishing it up.  I spent a few days weaving in the rest of the ends (about half of them!), experimented with edgings, and finally set to doing a very basic single crochet around the exterior.

It's done.

I'll do a finished project post in a day or so....complete with all of the details.

Comments

I've felt a bit like that...and who can blame you, in this case! It is so gorgeous, and so many memories...

Popular Posts