Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Back Among The Living

 To my great delight, I feel like a human being today!
As you know, I had my gallbladder removed on November 30.  I was very, very nervous about the surgery - especially given how rough my the recovery was after my last surgery.  Fortunately, I had the foresight to ask my surgeon to save some of my stones so that I could see what they looked like.  I know that sounds gross, but honest to goodness when I saw the vial of stones I knew I had made the right decision.  There were a LOT of them (she told Sean that my gallbladder was full), and they were nasty looking little boogers.  I've been at peace with my decision since then.  The fact that my digestive system is already back to normal - and actually feels better - less than two weeks after surgery has proven that surgery was the right thing to do.
I should have known it was going to be ok.  On the way to the hospital that Friday morning, we came around the curve in St. Charles to find three deer standing quietly by the road.  Some of you will know what that means to me.  For those of you that don't...ask me sometime.
Some random thoughts on the whole experience:
The good part about going to the hospital at 5:30 AM is that you can be home by 11:30...especially if you are as motivated as I was to get the hell out of there.  
As it would turn out, my surgeon has a reputation among the nurses for getting the gas that they use to inflate you innards out before closing you up - thus eliminating the post-surgery chest pain that is the bain of laproscopic surgeries.  That is awesome. 
I might be in love with my couch - which is the best place on the entire earth to sleep when you aren't feeling well. 
My neighbors and MIL are awesome for getting the girls to school that day.  My parents and my brother are awesome because they took the girls for the weekend.  My in laws are awesome for checking on me in the hospital.  My church is awesome for sending me a gorgeous bird's nest fern and for providing me with communion and administration at home. 
I have inherited my great-grandfather's tough streak.  Didn't take any pain meds at all.  As far as I'm concerned, those are worse than surgery and I'd rather tough it out. 
My energy levels are still very low,  which has left me short of temper and very emotional.  It will probably take a few weeks for that to clear up. 
Patience, Kristin.  Patience.
I'm feeling hopeful right now.  Maybe this was the last piece of the puzzle....
At any rate, I did find myself with a small burst of energy this morning, and so I pulled out my finishing basket so that I could do some washing and blocking.  It's been fun, and I will be sharing finished project entries with you for the next few days. 
It's so very good to be back.  I've missed you!


Lecia said...

So glad it went well. I would've wanted to see the stones, too - I imagine it helped you process it all. I hope your recovery continues smoothly and rapidly.

margene said...

It's good to hear from you and that a piece of the health puzzle may be falling into place. Take care! Your knitting is amazing!!