I've spent all of my spare moments in the last week or so working on finishing up the feathered border on my Princess Shawl....and it has been amazing.
The last 40 or so rows have been tricky because of the mirror imaging. Not only have I had to memorize the pattern in two directions, but I also found myself having to correct quite a few mistakes on the chart. (The already corrected chart, I might add. I'll be contacting the designer.)
Totally worth the mental gymnastics.
I threw the pattern (8.5 x 11.75 inches) on so that you could get an idea of the size. Also, if you look at the pattern picture, that lighter section at the top of the border( 24 more rows) is all I have left to do before beginning the triangular portion.
If I'm smart, I'll set the whole thing aside for a while so that my hands can get a bit of a rest. I've not been so careful in the last few days, and I know better.
A few notes:
1. There are two joins in the section I photographed, and I'm quite happy to say that you cant really see them unless you go looking....and look hard. (There is a visible pull on the bottom that does need a bit of TLC.)
2. I have discovered that audio books are my best friends while working on this project. TV is completely out because I HAVE to look at my hands on this one. It's also too jumpy, and disjointed because of commercials. Music fights to take over my logic brain...asking me to knit along to the beat and making it considerably more difficult for me to memorize the repeat. Audio...well it's just enough of a distraction to shut off the overly analytical portion of my mind so that I can relax into the patterns and repeats.
3. I've estimated about 160 hours in the work that I've done so far. Worth EVERY minute!