What I Read In June

Total towards 2019 reading goals: 48/80.

Truth time:  Ahem.  I watched a LOT of tv this month as I dealt with some very stressful life situations.  By a LOT, I mean all four seasons of Outlander, the newest season of Jessica Jones, Pose, Instant Hotel season 2, and probably a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff that I'm forgetting at the moment.  That Outlander binge is the dangerous part because it's pushing me to reread all of those books..and as many of you know, they are massive.  Ah well.  I don't regret it.  Also, you should all go watch Pose.  

1. Silver in the Wood, Emily Tesh - One of my most anticipated pre-orders of the year, and it did not disappoint.  As you may - ahem - know from the title of this blog, I have a fondness for Green Man tales, and this was a very sweet interpretation.  Looking forward to Tesh's future work.  If this novella is any indication, she has a brilliant career ahead of her!

2. Nomadland, Jessica Bruder (audio) - This book is the One Read book for my town this year, which is truly the only reason I picked it up.  I'm torn between deep fascination and complete horror.  Bruder spent several years learning about the communities of people who live out of their vehicles in this country.  On the one hand, there's absolute freedom and an appreciation of simplicity.  On the other hand, there are the economic realities that drive people to it and the predatory nature of the massive corporations who take advantage of this mobile workforce.  Bruder absolutely opened my eyes to something I knew nothing about, and I know I'll be pondering her book for a long, long while.

3. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, Katherine Howe - This was a reread of a book I enjoyed several years ago because.....

4. The Daughter of Temperance Hobbs, Katherine Howe - was just released this month!  I very much enjoy these books, and am absolutely delighted that Howe chose to write a sequel.  They've got lots of things I enjoy - history, an interesting female lead, academia, a sweet love story, and just enough fantasy sprinkled in for some real fun.  I appreciate Howe's attention to historical detail, and while they certainly aren't perfect books they are exactly what I needed this summer!

Comments

Popular Posts