February Books

I’m almost embarrassed to write this post...but I’ve got to be honest.

I only read one book and two comic collections in February.

That’s it.

It’s probably the smallest amount of reading I’ve done in a given month in my entire life.

What happened?

  1. The second bunion surgery,
  2. The flu - which I came down with the day after the surgery, 
  3. Bronchitis - a nasty two+ week long ordeal that the flu left behind,
  4. A major event at work, and
  5. Working a lot more hours than usual to make up for some of the sick time.  
Yeah.  Brutal.  

So what did I actually read?

1.  The Wicked King, Holly Black (audio) - A much anticipated sequel to a book that I had enjoyed very much in audio format while I was training for my marathon.  I had preordered the book, but I was so busy prepping for the surgery that I was glad I lucked onto the audio version.  (It’s had a wait list on our library’s digital services every since.). I really enjoy Black’s fairy tales, which really are good, old-fashioned fairy tales that show the full complexity of the mythology.  Faery is magic and wonder - but it’s also danger and fear.  Black’s books tell a rollicking good story with fun characters and an engaging plot.  The older I get, and the more precious my time becomes, the more I want a book that sinks it’s claws into me and doesn’t let go.  Now, I just have to wait for the third book....not so patiently.  

2.  The Umbrella Academy Apocalypse Suite and 3. The Umbrella Academy Dallas, written by Gerard Way, art by Gabriel Bal. - So yes, I binge watched the Netlfix version of the Umbrella Academy as soon as it was released, and I loved it!  One of my coworkers asked me the next week if I’d seen the show and then offered to loan me the comics when I expressed my enthusiasm for it.  I thought the comics were super fun, but they were even more sparse than I expected.  As a brilliant foundation to build on for a tv series, though, they were perfect.  (And this may be the one and only time you EVER see me liking the adaptation more than the source!)

Comments

Popular Posts