Reading in October and November

 October:

1.  Starling House, Alix E. Harrow, Best Book of 2024, without a doubt. - I adore Harrow, and am always excited when she publishes a new book.  But when my heart sister, who manages a local indy bookstore, starts talking about how great it is months before release...well, then I know I'm in for a treat.  This is a book about two very imperfect people...a Gothic fantasy...a masterclass in writing. Happy to note it made NPR's Books We Love for 2023.   

2.  Project Hail Mary, Andy Weir - Much as I love The Martian, I was very disappointed by Weir's second book and so delayed reading this, his third, for a really long time.  In fact, I only decided to read it because it was recommended by a friend.  Ended up loving it, but admit that at some point I started skimming a lot of the sciency stuff Weir is known for.  It just felt too in the weeds at times to be enjoyable.  

3. the Fragile Threads of Power, V.E. Schwab - YES!  Delilah Bard is back! (Have I mentioned that I named my dog after her?!)   So grateful to Schwab for deciding to revisit her Shades of Magic world.  Loved revisiting beloved characters, loved meeting new characters.  Am delighted with what feels like a natural progression for that world and the stories within.  Can't wait to see where this series goes.  

4. A Haunting on the Hill, Elizabeth Hand - This is the first book about Hill House that was authorized by Shirley Jackson's estate.  I read about it in an article and was curious.  To my utter delight, it was fantastic.  Love a good haunted house book, love how it honored the source material, love how it updated the source material.  Excellent October read.  

5. Sleep No More, Seanan McGuire - the 17th October Daye novel, which picks up after a doozy of a cliffhanger in the last book.  I am really impressed that McGuire has managed to keep the quality up after this many books in a series, and I love that I still enjoy each new book as much as I do.  McGuire managed the trick of turning things completely on their head so that she could explore the characters in a different light, and that was fun.  Seriously love these books. 

6. Candles and Starlight, Seanan McGuire (novella) - Always enjoy these bonus novellas, but there's not much else to say about it.  

7. The Innocent Sleep, Seanan McGuire - When I discovered that McGuire was publishing the 18th October Daye novel just a month after the 17th I got excited because I thought she was going to do a massive two-part story.  I was therefore pretty disappointed when this book came out and I discovered it was the exact same story told through a different POV.  However, I was committed to reading both books back to back and so I did.  I'm happy to report that this actually added to the story beautifully, so in the end I was kind of glad McGuire chose to write it.  Having said that, I hope she doesn't make it a habit.  

8. Doubtless and Secure, Seanan McGuire (novella) -Same comment as for the last.  


November: 

1. Graceling, Kristin Cashore - I've had this book for years and years, but was completely turned off by the audio version that I attempted two or three times.  Kind of kicking myself because once I actually started reading it I really enjoyed it.  Having said that, Cashore did write more books in that world, but I'm choosing to leave this as a beautiful stand-alone, and will not be reading the others.  

2. Bookshops and Bonedust, Travis Baldree - Yay!  This prequel is exactly the cozy fantasy I wanted/needed!  These books feel like a cozy blanket on a cold afternoon.  I especially appreciated the epilogue, which is set beyond the events of the first book.  

3. Iron Flame, Rebecca Yarros - Oh yes, I'm on the bandwagon.  While I don't exactly think these are the best books ever written, I do give the author kudos for writing fun books that are hard to put down once you get going.  Not sure I'm thrilled about the planned three more books in the series...and I was a tad annoyed by the finish...but I know I'll be along for the ride.  

4. The Narrow Road Between Desires, Patrick Rothfuss - I had high hopes for this book because I loved Rothfuss's other novella.  But...well...it was good, but it didn't really hit like his other works have.  I kind of just wish he'd finish the main series already.  

5. System Collapse, Martha Wells - Latest Murderbot book, was hoping for more because I've really enjoyed this series....but...well, it wasn't great.  Took me way too long to get into it, and didn't feel happy or satisfied.  This is a series that is losing steam.  

6. A Power Unbound, Freya Marske - This is the final book in a trilogy, and I'm very happy with how everything wrapped up.  To be honest, the central relationship may have been my least favorite in the trilogy - each book focusing on a different pairing - but I loved seeing both former couples through their eyes.  To be honest, the ending surprised me, which is always a delight.  I read so much that I usually see things coming from a mile away.  

Comments

Popular Posts