Life In General

Love those toothless smiles!

It's been a while since I did a newsy sort of post, so I thought I would take some time this morning to catch you all up a bit!
  • Tanith lost her first tooth on her big sister's birthday.  The funny part is that she had only discovered it was loose the day before!  This kid doesn't waste any time!
  • Last night I took Tanith to see the MU Women's Gymnastics team compete in their Pink Out event.  We left big sister and Dad at home and had a fabulous time.
  • Guess who's been pushing for gymnastics lessons since the Olympics?  Yep, after last night I need to figure out how to make that happen. 
  • I would also like to say that I am extremely grateful that my sweet little Pixie of a child has a first grade teacher who is so very in tune with her needs. 
  • As for my 10 YEAR OLD!!!!  (I'm so not old enough to have a child in the double digits!), she is having a birthday slumber party this evening with four of her very best friends.
  • Pray for my sanity.
  • Gillian won her classroom spelling bee again this year, and will be competing in the school wide bee at the end of the month.
  • She is not happy about this...but at least she decided to stick with it.
  • She is happy about Girls On The Run starting up again! 

  • Having spent the bulk of November and December knitting gifts for other people, I find that I'm seriously balking at making any more gifts. 
  • What on earth do I still have to do? 
  • I have two presents that need to be finished up and at least three babies to knit for.  It's a lot. 
  • What do I really want to be doing? 
  • Sweaters.  Sweaters for myself.
  • And a gigantic push to finish the scrapbook blanket.
  • But mostly sweaters.  My friend Shelda and I may have made plans to do a sweater project this year that ties in nicely to my 'stop looking like a hobo' birthday resolution.
  • I also want to spend a lot of time with my spinning wheel.  I do have a rather large amount of fiber right at the moment....fiber that could be used to make my SWEATERS! 
  • Problem being that my wheel has some serious problems right now. 
  • Sigh.
  • That's right, my beloved Lendrum has developed a nasty wheel wobble.  It worked itself loose last summer (which is very unusual) in a rather dramatic fashion - literally I was spinning along when suddenly the wheel was knocking back and forth on it's access - and since then it's not been the same.
  • I spoke with the lovely people at the Yarn Barn last weekend, and they contacted Lendrum for me.  They all agree that the wheel has worked itself out of alignment, and the fix is supposed to be fairly simple.
  • I've followed all of their advice, and nothing is working. 
  • It's entirely possible this is user error.  I am, unfortunately, not a very mechanically minded person, and it's possible I'm just not getting the wheel balanced right.
  • However I am worried that it can't be fixed.  Wheels are way too expensive to just toss and get a new one!
  • The plan is to schedule a trip to the Yarn Barn to see if they can help me in person.
  • Fortunately, I have Gillian's wheel to work with until then.

  • We had a wee doggy adventure a week ago.  A great Dane puppy (3 months old and already 25 lbs!) followed the girls home from the school bus stop.  A quick trip to the Central MO Humane Society followed so that we could file a found dog report and check to see if she'd been microchiped (she wasn't).  I am a soft touch, and couldn't leave her there overnight, so we brought her home with us.  The long and short of it is that it was very obvious that she had to belong to a loving home.  She was too well cared for, too well socialized, too clean, too good on a leash, too potty trained, too valuable, etc. to have been a stray.  We had a great evening with her, but then I took her back to CMHS the next morning so that they could handle the return to the owner....which happened just a few hours after I dropped her off.  (We also wanted them to have to pay the fine to get her back.... a small, but important wake up call.)  I know that even with the best of owners sometimes things happen and a dog gets loose, so I'm not judging...but I do hope they had enough of a scare to tighten their security.   
  • The puppy adventure produced two results in our family.
  • 1.  I know absolutely that I am not ready for a new dog yet.  In fact, it may take a considerable amount of time before I am ready. 
  • 2.  Some of the questions I've had regarding how I want to go about getting the next dog have been answered.  I will be writing a post fairly soon about the thought process and what we are considering. 

  • Other stuff:
  • I had some really strange issues with my tummy this week.  While it's entirely possible I had a mild bug of some sort, it also occurred to me yesterday that it may be related to the tea I drink. 
  • Soooooo......I'm off of tea for a while so I can test that theory.
  • I've dealt with a lot of loss with the food allergies, but if I lose tea, too, it's going to be bad.
  • I've been working to get our family diet cleaned back up since the holidays.  It's rather rough going just now. 
  • I'm looking in to becoming a substitute teacher. 
  • Quite frankly, there are things we want to accomplish in our family that are only going to happen if we have a second income.
  • I have very mixed feelings right now, and that's really all I can say about it.
  • I'm debating a half marathon in the spring.  There's a local training program I could join...I'm just not sure if I really want to start working for distance running again. 
  • I DO want to start lifting weights, and that's on the agenda for this coming week!  Working on building an at home program.
  • My knee has been complaining...and the ONLY thing that fixes that is strength training.
  • I'm fighting a touch of my (usual) post holiday blues. 
  • We're working on a rather thorough whole-house purge/organization/deep clean. 
  • To be followed (I hope) by some cosmetic work that will make the home more comfortable for me to live in.
And with that, I must go.  I have a slumber party to prepare for! 

Hope you all are having a great weekend!

Comments

Popular Posts